Find out what to do in your garden now.
- Continue to remove faded flowers on spring bulbs but not the foliage until it is withered.
- Keep borders weed free.
- Mulch borders if not completed last month.
- If the weather is mild, then trim weak or straggly growth of sage and rosemary.
- Penstemons – cutback last year’s stems down to the new growth – if the weather is very cold delay until end of the month.
- Check evergreens for any frost damage – lightly prune if necessary.
- Look out for early aphid attacks and treat if necessary.
- Sweet peas can be direct sown now to produce plants that flower later than those sown under glass or over wintered plants.
- Prune early flowering shrubs such as forsythia etc.
- To ensure strong growth on roses apply a general fertiliser.
- Plant evergreen trees and shrubs / move existing evergreens if necessary.
- Trim back frost damaged foliage.
- Plant summer flowering corms and tubers including dahlia, gladioli and canna.
- Apply combined weed, feed and moss to lawns.
- Continue planting potatoes and finish planting onion sets by mid-April.
- Direct sow vegetables such as beetroot, carrots, lettuce, radish, turnip, peas, spinach and parsnip.
- Prune young stone fruit trees such as cherries and plums as leaf buds open.
Written by: Alex Bell, www.alexbellgardendesign.co.uk
No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts
Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Leave A Comment
At last a versatile health product for gardensAphids on the roses, mildew on the brassicas - we can't avoid pests and diseases in our gardens but...Sex among the tomato plants in a greenhouseNo it’s not a naughty story, just an example of how scientists are combatting the latest alien...Slug ControlSlugs are the number 1 pest for gardeners. Their feeding make holes in the leaves, stems, flowers,...Growing successTop tips for growing vegetable and flowering plants from seed.WhiteflyWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
1March JobsWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
2April JobsWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
3Growing successWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
4Slug ControlWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
5Gardening with the kidsWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.