A handy list of April gardening jobs.
- Continue to remove faded flowers on spring bulbs but not the foliage until it is withered.
- Keep borders weed free.
- Mulch borders if not completed last month.
- If the weather is mild, then trim weak or straggly growth of sage and rosemary.
- Penstemons – cutback last year’s stems down to the new growth – if the weather is very cold delay until end of the month.
- Check evergreens for any frost damage – lightly prune if necessary.
- Look out for early aphid attacks and treat if necessary.
- Sweet peas can be direct sown now to produce plants that flower later than those sown under glass or over wintered plants.
- Prune early flowering shrubs such as forsythia etc.
- To ensure strong growth on roses apply a general fertiliser.
- Plant evergreen trees and shrubs / move existing evergreens if necessary.
- Trim back frost damaged foliage.
- Plant summer flowering corms and tubers including dahlia, gladioli and canna.
- Apply combined weed, feed and moss to lawns.
- Continue planting potatoes and finish planting onion sets by mid-April.
- Direct sow vegetables such as beetroot, carrots, lettuce, radish, turnip, peas, spinach and parsnip.
- Prune young stone fruit trees such as cherries and plums as leaf buds open.
Written by: Alex Bell, www.alexbellgardendesign.co.uk
April Gardening EssentialsThe popular products other gardeners are now buying for this months gardening jobs
find out more
No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts
Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Leave A Comment
How to achieve the 'Wimbledon' lawn lookWith the Wimbledon Tennis Championships this week, you may be a little green with envy seeing that...Summer Lawn CareSummer lawn care is all about feeding, moss killing, weeding, mowing and watering.Are mulch and compost the same thing?Mulch and compost are not the same thing. The simple answer, is that mulch is used on the top layer...Spring Lawn Care TipsThe lawn is often the first impression of your property. It is the bedrock of the garden, the canvas...Osmocote Professional FertiliserNow available to buy online