Find out what to do in your garden now.
- If the ground is waterlogged, then keep off the soil to avoid compaction and worsening the conditions.
- If snow falls – do not let the snow sit on the shrubs, gently shake off to prevent damage.
- Prune bush or standard apples and pears, aiming to create an open framework of about 5 main branches.
- Sweet peas can be sown this month and those sown in the autumn can be potted on. Place them in a sunny greenhouse, cold frame or windowsill.
- Plan annual cut flowers for the borders.
- Mulch borders if not already done in autumn.
- Plant deciduous hedges.
- Move deciduous trees and shrubs if necessary.
- Ensure protective coverings such as fleece / mulch have remained in place over frost tender plants.
- Avoid walking on turf when the grass is covered with frost or is waterlogged.
- Protect brassicas from pigeons with cloches, netting or fleece.
- Harvest Winter veg such as parsnip, swede, sprouts, leeks and turnip.
- Remove one third of the oldest stems of blackcurrants at ground level to encourage new basal shoots.
Written by: Alex Bell, www.alexbellgardendesign.co.uk
No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts
Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Leave A Comment
Osmocote Professional FertiliserNow available to buy onlineA fatal attraction at RHS ChelseaThe Garden Superstore are proud sponsors of Hampshire Carnivorous Plants at RHS Chelsea Flower Show...Are you Strulching?This innovative product is made from wheat straw and is suitable for all gardens including organic.Pruning roses: Our expert guideIt makes you smile, doesn’t it. The sight of that first rose emerging in the garden in June....How - and when - to plant trees and shrubsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
1Plastic plant pots dimensions and usesEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
2March JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
3How to Grow Watercress at home in plant potsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
4January JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
5February JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.