Find out what to do in your garden now.
- Lightly trim box balls – traditionally on Derby Day 6th June!! Would be nice to encourage the box topiary to grow larger while retaining the shape.
- Deadheading – salvia’s as the flower heads go over, penstemons, roses etc.
- Consider spraying any plants infected with aphids or black fly with SB Plant Invigorator.
- Prune early flowering clematis.
- Cut back foliage of tulips.
- Trim other shrubs to shape as necessary.
- Plant warm season grasses such as penisetum and panicum.
- Treat bindweed/groundelder and other invasive weeds growing among other plants by applying a glyphosate based weed killer to their leaves.
- Prune ornamental cherries after their flowers have faded.
- There is still time to sow quick germinating annuals such as cosmos.
- Sow winter bedding such as violas etc.
- Cut back oriental poppies/pulmonaria etc after they have flowered. Remove all leaf as well to allow for fresh leaves to sprout.
- Remove reverted shoots form variegated shrubs etc.
- Direct sow carrots for autumn and winter harvest.
- Sow Florence fennel and chicory.
- Plant out leeks once they are pencil thick.
- Mulch strawberries with matting or straw.
- Water potatoes for good sized tubers.
- Feed tomatoes with regularly.
- Ventilate greenhouse.
Written by: Alex Bell, www.alexbellgardendesign.co.uk
No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts
Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Leave A Comment
How to achieve the 'Wimbledon' lawn lookWith the Wimbledon Tennis Championships this week, you may be a little green with envy seeing that...Summer Lawn CareSummer lawn care is all about feeding, moss killing, weeding, mowing and watering.Are mulch and compost the same thing?Mulch and compost are not the same thing. The simple answer, is that mulch is used on the top layer...Spring Lawn Care TipsThe lawn is often the first impression of your property. It is the bedrock of the garden, the canvas...Osmocote Professional FertiliserNow available to buy online