Find out what to do in your garden now.
- A general fertiliser could be applied over borders if felt necessary.
- Lightly rake lawn if mild and not waterlogged to remove moss.
- Remove any dead, diseased or damaged growth from trees and shrubs.
- Finish mulching if not done in autumn.
- Put manure / rose feed around all roses and check for dead, diseased or dying shoots.
- Deadhead bulbs regularly.
- Now is a good time to plant: new Perennials and summer-flowering bulbs. Re-pot or top-dress all containers.
- Weed regularly.
- Edge / define all borders if not done already.
- Plant roses.
- Sow hardy annuals for summer colour.
- Repair damage to lawns if necessary.
- Harden off hardy annuals sown under glass.
- Cut back any remaining growth from herbaceous / grasses left over from the winter.
- Divide summer flowering perennials like astrantia, hemorocallis, hosta etc.
- Coppice dogwoods / willows etc. if not done before now.
- Prune gooseberries and red and white currants. Remove deadwood and then spur prune all sideshoots back to 2 – 3 buds from the base. Shorten branch tips by one quarter.
- Plant shallot and onion sets.
- Harvest the last of the winter crops and compost any un- diseased debris.
- Sow aubergines, cucumbers, tomatoes and chillies in an indoor heated propagator but only if you have a heated glasshouse for growing on seedlings.
Written by: Alex Bell, www.alexbellgardendesign.co.uk
No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts
Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Leave A Comment
At last a versatile health product for gardensAphids on the roses, mildew on the brassicas - we can't avoid pests and diseases in our gardens but...Sex among the tomato plants in a greenhouseNo it’s not a naughty story, just an example of how scientists are combatting the latest alien...Slug ControlSlugs are the number 1 pest for gardeners. Their feeding make holes in the leaves, stems, flowers,...Growing successTop tips for growing vegetable and flowering plants from seed.WhiteflyWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
1March JobsWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
2Growing successWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
3Gardening with the kidsWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
4Slug ControlWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.
5WhiteflyWhat are Whitefly, symptoms and how to control them.