Find out what to do in your garden now.
- This month is a fast period of growth. Late frosts may catch early blooms and soft growth – remove any damaged growth.
- Spray roses with Rose Clear or similar.
- Continue to remove spent flowers of spring bulbs but not the foliage until it has withered and yellowed.
- Chelsea-chop time – If the nepeta and sedums are looking leggy then cutback by a third to encourage compact growth that will not collapse later in the season. This can be applied to the lavender, echinops, echinacea, aster, helenium and salvia too if felt necessary.
- Trim rosemary, thyme and sage if not done in April.
- Cutback withered daffodil or tulip stems once they have turned yellow.
- Trim grass edges of borders regularly to keep neat and tidy.
- Prune spring flowering clematis.
- Stake and support herbaceous perennials if necessary.
- If daffs gave a poor show lift and divide bulbs and replant.
- Continue deadheading spring bulbs.
- Start hardening off tender plants for planting out.
- Harvest Asparagus.
- Direct sow French beans and sweet corn if weather is warm enough.
- Start earthing up potatoes.
- Harvest early crops such as radish / lettuce etc.
- Avoid planting tomatoes too early as they suffer if exposed to temperatures below 12C
- Sow pumpkins, cucumbers, courgettes, squashes under cover now and outdoors towards the end of the month.
Written by: Alex Bell, www.alexbellgardendesign.co.uk
No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts
Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Leave A Comment
Osmocote Professional FertiliserNow available to buy onlineA fatal attraction at RHS ChelseaThe Garden Superstore are proud sponsors of Hampshire Carnivorous Plants at RHS Chelsea Flower Show...Are you Strulching?This innovative product is made from wheat straw and is suitable for all gardens including organic.Pruning roses: Our expert guideIt makes you smile, doesn’t it. The sight of that first rose emerging in the garden in June....How - and when - to plant trees and shrubsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
1Plastic plant pots dimensions and usesEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
2March JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
3How to Grow Watercress at home in plant potsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
4January JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
5February JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.