Find out what to do in your garden now.
- Part prune roses to prevent windrock.
- Continue to tidy borders if weather permits.
- Final cut for lawns if no frosts.
- Remove fallen leaves.
- Cutback spent foliage and flowers of herbaceous perennials.
- Leave the seed heads of grasses like Miscanthus to provide winter structure.
- Continue to lay turf for new lawns – avoid frosty days if possible.
- Remove surplus dead leaves from ponds.
- Complete planting of bulbs.
- Mulch borders – especially borderline hardy perennials.
- Plant bare root shrubs and roses.
- Plant winter flowering shrubs like daphne and sarcococca.
- Take hard wood cuttings of roses and other deciduous shrubs.
- Scarify lawns.
- Keep off lawns in wet and frosty weather.
- Begin winter pruning of fruit trees.
- Plant fruit trees, soft fruit and cane fruit.
- Plant garlic cloves.
- Apply grease bands around trunks of fruit trees to protect from winter months.
- Apply a good layer of compost / manure to bare areas of ground.
- Protect salad plants under cloches/ fleece etc.
- Clear spent old plants.
Written by: Alex Bell, www.alexbellgardendesign.co.uk
No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts
Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Leave A Comment
Osmocote Professional FertiliserNow available to buy onlineA fatal attraction at RHS ChelseaThe Garden Superstore are proud sponsors of Hampshire Carnivorous Plants at RHS Chelsea Flower Show...Are you Strulching?This innovative product is made from wheat straw and is suitable for all gardens including organic.Pruning roses: Our expert guideIt makes you smile, doesn’t it. The sight of that first rose emerging in the garden in June....How - and when - to plant trees and shrubsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
1Plastic plant pots dimensions and usesEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
2March JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
3How to Grow Watercress at home in plant potsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
4January JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.
5February JobsEverything you need to know on planting trees and shrubs.